Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Oh yeah... so who am I? (And a couple other odds and ends)

I'm a bit forgetful, so you'll have to forgive me. I haven't even really introduced myself. I'll take just a minute to do that really quick so you can know you you're gettin' involved with here.

My name is Bennett Campbell. I would be a senior at UNC this year, but I'm taking the year off for, let's say, some perspective. I've always loved writing of all kinds - I've kept an (almost) daily journal since I was 10 years old. I wrote for my high school paper and until recently was the arts editor for UNC's The Daily Tar Heel.

I also am extremely intrigued with where people get their inspiration and, additionally, how they interact with other people. Obviously, this project is an experiment in both areas.

I currently still live in Chapel Hill, N.C., where there is an abundance of creative minds, many of whom - without even knowing it - were the inspiration for me to start this project.

Aside from reading and writing, I enjoy sports (mostly soccer and hockey), going to see movies, an excellent cup of coffee or a good beer, and myriad other things.

But that's enough about me. I just, as I said, kind of wanted to officially introduce myself as not to appear to be some far-off, inaccessible guy with an unrealistic dream. My hope is that if I can start getting to know more people and continue to interact with the people I do know already, I can get more and more people involved in this process.

A couple more odds and ends:

*If you're interested in getting the word out in large quantities, please e-mail me (bennett.e.campbell@gmail.com) with any ideas, and we can start working out a more concrete, larger-scale method. Whether it's using listservs of various types, putting up fliers, word-of-mouth campaigns, or more unorthodox ways of publicity, I'll need all the help I can get.

*As far as a timeline: Slow and steady wins the race. I'm committed to spending several weeks (or longer if necessary, but honestly I hope its at least started to pick up by that time) getting the word out before getting too involved in the writing process. I want this to get to as many people as possible first so that everyone has input from the beginning. I've put enough thought into this project that I'm not going to be discouraged if it takes a little while to start getting feedback. Perserverance is the name of the game.

No comments: